The final design for those first badges was simple but elegant. At one inch by three-quarters of an inch, they were slightly larger than the current standard badge. The badge of 1870 contained many of the markings found on today’s badges: the white chevron with the Greek letters and two stars. In that first design, a chased border edges the badge.
Once she had designed it, Bettie sought a jeweler who made other fraternity badges. John Newman of New York was contacted and in his response, he first addressed Bettie as "sir." We do not have Bettie's response, but he does refer to her as a "Miss" in his next letter.
For the first eleven years, the official jeweler was Newman and Company of New York. However, members would often go to local jewelers and get their own version of the official design. In samples in the Theta archives, the edging changes from a chased border to a rope or bead edging. Some members commissioned more ornate badges with combinations of pearls, diamonds, rubies, garnets, emeralds, and opals decorating the edge of these early badges. As new chapters were established around the country, the Fraternity named more "official jewelers." By 1896, there were seven official jewelers located around the country.
Grand Convention passed legislation regulating the design of the badge. In 1889, the Constitution and Bylaws specifically stated that Newman and Company's die was to be used in production of all badges. In 1899, a formal description of the badge was included in the Constitution and Bylaws. In 1907, there was an attempt to standardize the design using only pearls or diamonds, but this effort failed. Legislation in 1909 reduced the size of the badge to one inch by two-thirds of an inch.